Programs for Kids aged 6 to 11
PAWS for Reading
Want to read to a furry friend? Reserve your own special one-on-one 15 minute session to read to our volunteer dog. The PAWS for Reading program builds confidence in reading by using a stress-free environment while reading to a trained therapy dog. Children can bring a book from home or choose one from the library. When choosing a book from the library, please arrive early enough to be ready to read at your reserved time.
Reading Incentive Programs
Reading Dragons & Friends is a school-year reading incentive program developed by Dover Public Library in Dover, Ohio, and generously shared with libraries nationwide. Readers record the days they read at least 30 minutes in their reading tracker and earn a designated playing card each week. Cards are grouped in families, each with an egg, baby, teenager, and adult. Catch-up months will be offered twice a year to earn cards that may have been missed. Playing cards can be used to play rock-paper-scissors, war, and other games. They are standard sized, so they fit in collectible sleeves for safekeeping as well. Meet-ups for participants will be scheduled for playing games, trading cards, and making new friends.
Summer Reading Challenges
Read & Bead Track your reading time to earn beads that you can put on a cable to wear as a bracelet or hang from a backpack. You will receive a reading tracker and a cable when you register.
Patch Power Earn embroidered patches to hang on backpacks or sew onto clothes. At-home activities and programs for a total of 3 will earn each patch – it’s that easy! The new patches for 2023 will be announced in May. You’ll also be able to earn any of our patches from previous years to complete your collection.
Summer Reading Program
During the summer libraries across the nation host additional programming and reading incentives to stop the "summer slide" of academic skills. When you register with APL, you will receive a Read & Bead tracker, cable, and instructions and a schedule of summer programs. Participants must register to attend programs because of space limitations. Programs are open to everyone.
The Office of Commonwealth Libraries hosts POWER Kids, Pennsylvania's electronic library for school-aged children. POWER kids connects children and families to safe and authoritative information for school projects, early literacy and fun!
- Discover PA is your go-to source for Pennsylvania facts.
- Book Flix: Watch videos and read books about animals, celebrations, nature, earth, family, community and more. Some films and books are available in Spanish, too!
- True Flix: Learn about people, places, nature, history and science from videos and eBooks on topics such as Native Americans, Ancient Civilizations, Farm to Table, the Civil War, Continents, the Thirteen Colonies, U.S. Government, and many more!
- Gale in Context - Elementary: Find information on topics such as animals, arts, geography, health, literature, people, social studies and technology.
- Links to books, movies, and more in other Pennsylvania libraries and to the Library of Congress!